After making the delicious garlic shrimp rotini with the arugula sauce I thought I could use the rest of the arugula to top off a Pizza Margherita. This simple pizza has few toppings but the basil and arugula make it a flavourful dish. It also makes a great meal for any vegetarian.
Pizza Margherita with Arugula
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 can of 231 ml pizza sauce
- 6 to 8 large basil leaves
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups of lightly packed arugula
- pizza dough
- Take the garlic and crush it with the side of your knife. Combine the 4 tsp of olive oil with the garlic in a small dish. It is best to do this before you make the dough so the garlic can sit in the oil.
- Take the pizza dough and stretch it out to your desired crust, thick or thin. Lightly brush the inner circle of each pizza with the garlic olive oil. Toss the rest of the garlic oil with the arugula. Lightly spread dough with pizza sauce, sprinkle a bit of mozzarella for a base, top with chopped basil and the rest of the mozzarella. Top each pizza with Parmesan cheese.
- Using a cutting board, slide the pizza onto the pizza stone, or baking pan and let it bake for 10-15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Transfer the pizza to a firm surface and cut into slices with a pizza cutter or very sharp knife. Sprinkle each pizza with arugula. Serve immediately.