Last weekend I went strawberry and blueberry picking at Covert's Farm in Oliver BC, where I obtained many delicious berries, and some half eaten with the help of my strawberry pickers. Who am I kidding? They did all the picking, I mostly took pictures. This farm has over 600 acres of fruits and vegetables and all organic. Which will make you feel good about picking them, and of course eating them too.
Now after a hot day of picking strawberries in the sun you might want to treat yourself to some delicious ice cream. And don't just stop at simple vanilla ice cream, top it off with freshly made strawberry sauce from the 5 lbs of strawberries that you now have. Of course this sauce is not just good on ice cream but you can pretty much top if onto any dessert. I would highly recommend cheese cake or angel fruit cake.
Fresh Strawberry Sauce
- 1 pint of strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1/2 tsp of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp of water
- 1 tsp of cornstarch dissolved into 2 tbsp of water
- In a medium saucepan mix together the strawberries, sugar, balsamic vinegar and water on medium low heat for 15 minutes.
- To this mixture, whisk in the water and cornstarch mixture until the sauce starts to thicken up a bit, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a blender and puree the strawberries until you get a smooth strawberry sauce.
- You can store the sauce in a container for about a week.