Halloween is a time for yummy treats and great fun. It's also a time to get creative with baking, so think of some of your favourite recipes and how you can add a Halloween twist to it. It's pretty easy to turn Rice Krispie Squares into any holiday treat simply by adding food colouring or sprinkles.
If you can find thicker pretzels, it'll probably look better for the stem of the pumpkin. Also, if you can find a tube of icing to decorate the face, you'll be able to make actual Jack-O-Lantern faces, as oppose to my toothpick drawn smiley faces.
Rice Krispie Jack-O-Lantern
- 6 cups of Rice Krispie
- 5 cups of mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup of butter, a little bit extra for your hands
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla
- Orange gel colouring or red and yellow food colouring
- Chocolate Icing
- In a large pot melt the butter on low heat. Once it has melted add in the marshmallows.
- Continue to stir the marshmallow until melted and add in the vanilla and food colouring. If you use red and yellow, drop in the yellow first and then the red, as it is harder to make the marshmallow lighter than darker. Add in about 5 drops of yellow and 2 drops of red. Add in either more red or yellow to get your desired colour of orange.
- Once you have blended the colour into the marshmallow add the Rice Krispie and mix quickly.
- Butter your hands so you don't get the mixture stuck to your hands and roll the mixture into a ball. Take your index knuckle and make a dent on the top where you will stick the pretzel as the stem.
- Decorate the faces on the little pumpkins and enjoy!